Friday, 28 August 2009

In the totem of Twitter

Ok, here is another thing I thought I'd never write about - Twitter! But then I read this another article published in a daily that so echoed my feelings towards Twitter.

So, what's the deal? It’s a site where all you can do is keep updating your status messages all day. Nothing but a site full of status messages! And when people run out of interesting status messages you are treated to the very painful details of their very boring social existence. Now what makes you think I would be interested in that?

Oh, and if you want to personally chat with someone, you have to first type in their @name followed by your message, so every time you reply you repeat the process. Isn't that so cumbersome? It is so much easier to use a messenger.

But, despite all my censures Twitter is a flourishing colony of people in the need to have their voice heard over the others. The louder you can shout the farther you will be heard. It's no longer about the money, the power lies in the number of followers you have and your influence lies in the number of RTs you make in a day.

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for shouting and I love having followers. But, I am not comfortable with flashing every moment of my day on a public platform amongst people who seem to thrive on exactly that. I mean on one side we complain about the government surveillance of our emails & phone calls and then on the other hand the Twitterites broadcast their every move, every thought and every breath on Twitter.

The author of this article I read perceives twitter as a platform making the Twitterites into copywriters who sells what they know best - Themselves! So true! And since the resurrection of the internet that is what everyone has been desperately trying to do, get heard, get noticed, advertise themselves...

But I still don't get it, with all its refutations why would I want to broadcast myself, connect with people, send a message through a bunch of status messages. I can probably do all that and a lot more with Facebook, Myspace and even Orkut, then why Twitter?

I have a twitter account since about a few months now (I even have twitterfox!), but every time I log in I draw a complete blank. I feel like an alien or some kind of refugee wondering what do I say next. I don't think I have even crossed my 100 tweet mark yet.

I don't understand what to write. Would you want know what time I woke up? Or which coffee I had? Or what I had for breakfast? Maybe my morning constipation would interest you? Or you might like me bitching and whining about people around me. That would make your day, wouldn't it?

So until I figure out what to my next tweet will be, I will tweet about not knowing what to tweet about!

P.S.: I promise NOT update tweets daily or sometimes even weekly. I promise NOT to retweet your tweets and I promise NOT to follow you back. In case you still want to follow me on Twitter, my id is RuchiKumar. Happy Tweeting!

No comments: